Graduate Admissions

Conditional Admission

Conditional Acceptance

Applicants with less than a 3.0 undergraduate CGPA may be considered for conditional admittance into the program under certain circumstances. If interested in pursuing this option, the applicant must submit an essay describing the circumstances that would allow success in a graduate program without regard to the undergraduate CGPA. Examples include, but are not limited to, a description of additional work or life experience since completion of their baccalaureate degree, a steadily increasing CGPA from their freshmen to senior year in college, a discussion of successful grades in their major, etc. This information will be reviewed by the program director and, if the review recommends admission, the student will be conditionally admitted into the program.

Students who are conditionally admitted must demonstrate a CGPA of at least 3.0 at the end of the first two courses. Students who achieve a CGPA of at least 3.0 after the second course will no longer have conditions placed on their admission and will then be subject to the College’s standard Satisfactory Academic Progress and withdrawal policies as outlined in the institutional catalog. Students who fail to obtain a CGPA of 3.0 after the second course will be dismissed from the program.

Appeal Process

Students who are subject to dismissal may appeal by submitting a statement of mitigating circumstances and supporting documents to the graduate program director.  If the appeal is granted, students will be allowed to attempt two additional courses.  Students who achieve a CGPA of 3.0 or higher after the fourth course will no longer have conditions placed on their admission and will then be subject to the College's standard Satisfactory Academic Progress and withdrawal policies as outlined in the institutional catalog.  Students who do not earn a CGPA of 3.0 or higher after the first four courses will be dismissed from the program.  Students cannot submit a second appeal for continued enrollment in a graduate program of study after attempting the first four courses.

Graduate Applicant Requirements

Applicants to Goodwin College’s graduate programs are required to:

  • Complete a graduate application for admission.
  • Pay a $50 non-refundable application fee (waived for Goodwin College graduates)
  • Provide a professional resume.
  • Submit proof of immunizations (measles, mumps, rubella, and varicella).
  • Submit an official transcript verifying receipt of a bachelor's degree from a college or university accredited by an accrediting agency recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) or the equivalent of this degree from another country with a Cumulative GPA of at least a 3.0. To be accepted as official, the transcript must be received by Goodwin College from the issuing institution in either a sealed, unopened envelope and bears the seal of the college or university or via an accepted secure electronic delivery method. Goodwin College cannot accept official transcripts via fax or email, regardless of the source.  Goodwin College degree holders do not need to submit Goodwin College transcripts.

If an unofficial transcript is submitted, an official transcript conferring receipt of a bachelor’s degree from a college or university accredited by an accrediting agency recognized by CHEA must be received by Goodwin College before the beginning of the student’s second semester. Students submitting unofficial transcripts must complete a transcript authorization request form upon enrollment. Goodwin College will send the request for official transcripts to the appropriate college or university. It is the student’s responsibility to ensure that an official transcript is on file before the beginning of their second semester. Falsifying or omitting information may result in administrative withdrawal and/or disciplinary actions. Students for whom an official transcript is not submitted to Goodwin College may be withdrawn from the program.

Once the College receives official transcripts, those transcripts are covered under provisions of applicable federal and state laws and regulations and cannot be returned to student or forwarded to other educational institutions. 

Submission of Transcripts

Official transcripts can be mailed to:

Goodwin College

Office of the Registrar

One Riverside Drive

East Hartford, CT  06118

For expedited submission of official transcripts, students may bring official/sealed envelopes in person to the Registrar's Office, which is located on the 1st floor of One Riverside Drive.

Applicants with a CGPA less than 3.0 may apply for conditional acceptance. See Conditional Admission.

Non-Native English Speakers and International Students

Graduate students from other countries are welcome and encouraged to apply to Goodwin College master’s programs. A student eligible for graduate study must have received the equivalent to a bachelor’s degree in their native country and must meet the further admission requirements of the graduate program of interest. The student’s background and preparation must be such in content and scope as to indicate the ability to successfully complete the curriculum requirements of the Goodwin College graduate program.

Applicants for admission whose native language is not English are required to prove their proficiency in the English Language. Proficiency can be proven by submitting the results of an English Proficiency examination, such as the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) or the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). The TOEFL scores must fall between 85 to 90 and the scores for the IETS must be at least a 6.5. Goodwin College will review each section independently to make sure that the writing and reading component is strong. 

The College website provides prospective and enrolled international students with information on academic programs and student services available at the College and in the local community. Admission requirements for international students differ from domestic student requirements. For complete instructions and to access the online application, contact the International Admissions Team (860) 913-2227 and refer to the College website:

Among the admission requirements are proof of English proficiency, a Certificate of Finances, and translated and evaluated academic transcripts. International students may attend Goodwin College on an F-1 student visa and demonstrate satisfactory academic progress toward their degree. The College will issue the student an I-20 form once all the appropriate paper work and fees are submitted. International graduate students must be enrolled full-time for 9-credit hours every semester. 

A certified financial statement is required of international students, confirming that all college and personal expenses are covered for the initial year of proposed attendance at Goodwin College. Students can satisfy this requirement with a bank statement indicating the required amount of money for the academic year. International students are not eligible to receive any federal or state aid to offset their tuition and fees. Goodwin College’s International Admissions Team can answer questions about the financial process and options.

Furthermore, enrollment requirements include proof of immunization and mandatory enrollment in Goodwin College’s health insurance program. The course registration process begins once payment is processed and students have completed their mandatory orientation. Additional placement testing may occur at this time. All the International Program staff will answer your questions and provide ongoing support services.

Information about international graduate admissions, English Language Proficiency, Certification of Finances and much more can be found on our web pages at


Students born on or after January 1, 1957, must submit evidence of immunization against mumps, measles, and rubella in compliance with Connecticut State Law Public Act 89-90 unless proof of a medical or religious contraindication is submitted. All students born on or after January 1, 1980, must also provide proof of adequate immunization against varicella (chicken pox). Students born in the United States before January 1, 1980, do not have to show proof of varicella vaccination. Adequate immunization for mumps, measles, rubella, and varicella consists of two doses of vaccine separated by at least 28 days with dose number one given on or after the first birthday. Any student who is not compliant will have a hold placed on future registration of classes until they submit the documentation.

Student Status

Matriculated Students

Individuals who have completed all of the requirements for admission and are accepted into a graduate program are considered to be matriculated. Graduate student status is determined on a semester basis by the number of credits that a student is registered to complete. To be considered a full-time graduate student at the College, candidates must be registered for a minimum of nine (9) credit hours per term. Graduate students who are enrolled for six (6) credits in a term are considered to be half-time.

Non-matriculated Students

Non-matriculated students with appropriate preparation may take three (3) to six (6) credits (one to two graduate courses) as a non-degree student with permission from the Registrar and the graduate program director. Students who want to take courses beyond these initial credits must be formally admitted into the graduate program, and no more than six (6) credits will be accepted toward the degree.

Transfer of Collegiate Credit

Graduate coursework may be transferred to the college graduate program under certain conditions. First, the credits must have been earned within the past ten years from a college or university accredited by an accrediting agency recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) and/or U.S. Department of Education (USDE). Second, a minimum grade of B- is required for the courses to be transferred. Finally, transfer courses must be approved by the Program Director and the Transfer Coordinator, under the direction of the Registrar. A maximum of six (6) graduate credits may be permitted to transfer into Goodwin College.

Officially transferred credit will be posted to the student’s transcript upon the receipt of official transcript(s). Credits awarded are given the grade of TR and are not included in the calculation of the GPA. These credits will count both as credits attempted and as credits earned in determining Satisfactory Academic Progress. Once a student is matriculated into a Goodwin College graduate program, no additional credits earned at other institutions will be transferred.