Financial Aid

The Goodwin College Financial Aid Office is dedicated to giving students the personal attention needed to help them find the financial means to pay for their graduate education. A variety of financial aid is available to qualified individuals in the form of grants, loans, part-time employment, and scholarships. Some of these funds originate from federal and state agencies and some originate from local government and community-based organizations. Some funds originate from Goodwin College in the form of institutional grants. Scholarships and grants do not have to be repaid. Loans have to be repaid. Typically, federal loans go into repayment if the student graduates, is enrolled less than half-time, or is no longer enrolled in the College. The Office of Financial Aid encourages you to visit our webpage at:

Loan Repayment

The Repayment Solutions Department of Goodwin College is pleased to announce a partnership with Inceptia, a nonprofit organization providing premier expertise in default prevention and debt management in relation to student loans. Together with Inceptia, we identify students needing immediate, short term, and long-term student loan management guidance. We offer financial counseling to all students using a customized plan of action. While Repayment Solutions’ outreach begins during the admissions process, Inceptia’s outreach begins during a student’s loan repayment period. Throughout a student’s federal loan repayment cycle, our partnership emphasizes our mutual commitment to student loan repayment success.


To apply for financial aid; follow the steps below. Please remember that many scholarships require you to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) in addition to the scholarship application.

Step 1: Get an FSA ID

The FSA ID is a username and password combination that gives you access to Federal Student Aid's online systems. It can also serve as your legal signature. If you don’t have an FSA ID by the time you fill out your online Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), you will be prompted to apply for one. Get a head start on that process by creating one at

Step 2: Complete the FAFSA

Complete the FAFSA annually online at It becomes available October 1 for aid in the following year. The Goodwin College Federal School Code is: 015833. You will need your 2017 federal tax information for the 2019-2020 FAFSA.

Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loans

Graduate students may be eligible for funds under the Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan program. To determine eligibility, students must:

  • Complete a FAFSA
  • Be enrolled in a minimum of six credits per semester
  • Complete a Direct Loan Master Promissory Note and entrance counseling prior to first disbursement. These are completed online at

An exit interview is required after a student drops below half-time or ceases enrollment. For current interest rates and loan fees; please see

Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan

Graduate students needing to secure funding in addition to the Direct Unsubsidized loan program may be eligible for a Graduate PLUS loan.

To determine eligibility, students must:

  • Complete FAFSA
  • Be enrolled in a minimum of six credits per semester
  • Meet annual maximum loan eligibility under the Federal Direct Subsidized and Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan Program 
  • Complete a Direct PLUS Master Promissory Note and Entrance Counseling prior to first disbursement. These are completed online at

Eligibility is contingent upon credit approval after submission of application on For current interest rates and loan fees; please see


Students are encouraged to search and apply for scholarships. For scholarships specific to graduate students; please see the graduate section of our scholarship webpage at:

Federal Work-Study Program

The Federal Work-Study (FWS) Program provides part-time employment for graduate students who are enrolled in at least 6 credits, have indicated interest and have financial need. FWS is not available to students in online programs. The job can be on or off campus. Students may use these funds to offset their educational and personal expenses. Students may work no more than 15 hours per week and may not perform their duties during scheduled class times. Awards are paid directly to the student in the form of a paycheck. For more information, please contact the financial aid office.

Notification of Awards

Graduate students are advised of award amounts in award letters, which are provided online and also given to new students when processing is complete. These awards are based on information from the FAFSA application, which may be estimated and subject to change. Students are encouraged to view their award for the current semester by accessing the NetPartner website. On the Awards tab of NetPartner, the student may also view the Financial Aid Disclosure Sheet (commonly referred to as the Shopping Sheet), which will outline their total charges and gift aid for the entire award year. Federal and State awards are not final until the information reported on the FAFSA application has been verified as accurate by the Financial Aid Office. The award notice is for one academic year (2 semesters) and outlines the types and amounts of aid offered. All new and revised award notices must be acknowledged by the students in one of the following manners: giving Goodwin College permission to accept the awards for them, signing the award notice, or accepting the awards on NetPartner. The parent of a dependent student who borrowed through the PLUS program must sign the award notice.

This notification represents the most equitable offer based upon the information provided and the funds available to the College. The availability of funds from federal and state programs is subject to federal and state appropriations and to changes in federal and state legislation and regulations.

When their financial circumstances change, students are expected to notify the Financial Aid Office so that adjustments on the award package can be made. When outside awards are received, the student is required to notify the Financial Aid Office to assure that these awards are credited to the student and to the aid package where mandated by federal and state law.

Students should direct any questions related to financial aid at Goodwin College to the Financial Aid Office. The Financial Aid Office has extensive information on specific financial aid programs and federal and state regulations.

Before adding or dropping a course, transferring programs, withdrawing from a program or beginning a medical withdrawal, students must check with the Financial Aid Office regarding any financial charges or penalties involved.

Questions regarding procedure or awards should be directed to the Financial Aid Office, Goodwin College, One Riverside Drive, East Hartford, Connecticut 06118 (860) 727-6723.